Passport Information

In order to obtain a first-time passport, an applicant needs to fill out an Application for a U.S. Passport, Click Here  to download the application or to fill the form out online and print it off. The applicant may then deliver the application together with a citizenship document, such as a certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate; an identification document, such as a valid driver’s license; and a passport photo. Photos can also be taken at the courthouse. A passport card is designed for people to use when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. If traveling by airplane, you must have a passport book. Please see Travel.State.Gov for current pricing. Please bring the following documents when you apply for your passport:

Applicants over 16 years of age:

  • Original birth certificate or certified copy. (Certified copies may be obtained from the County Recorder of the County and State in which you were born) (Not a document from the hospital in which you were born)
  • Driver’s license or other form of identification
  • Check or money order made out to “U.S. Dept of State” (U.S. Dept of State. will not accept credit cards or cash)
  • Check, money order, or cash for the processing fee, and photograph (if no legitimate photo is provided)
  • DS-11 Application

Minors under age 16:

In addition to the above, except driver’s license, the following:

  • Both parents must be present or one parent present and one parent having provided a DS-3053 notarized consent form
  • Drivers’ licenses of parents (or copy of front and back if providing a consent)
  • DS-11 Application

You may apply for your passport in the Auditor’s office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If you have any questions you can call the Auditor’s office at 641-623-5443, or you may visit Travel.State.Gov for additional passport and international travel information.