Assistant County Attorney
Prosecutes simple misdemeanors and other court duties as assigned. Manages the County Attorney Collection Program.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Undertakes pre-trial preparation from charging decisions, reviewing police reports, witness/victim interaction to pre-trial hearings and legal research
- Participates in trial work by negotiating case dispositions, meetings with judges, attorneys, police officers, and witnesses, and taking cases bench and jury trials
- Completes post-trial work by sentencing, restitution hearings, probation review hearings, and contempt hearings for non-compliance with court orders
- Appears at health committals for Poweshiek County
- Represents the office at initial appearances and bond reviews
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
- Manages County Attorney Collections Program
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Iowa or have graduated from an accredited law school and taken or scheduled the taking of the Iowa Bar Exam. Work requires a professional level of knowledge of a discipline equivalent to that which is acquired in a Master’s degree or Ph.D. level of study.
- No experience is required.
- Ability to read police reports, law cases, legal rule books, memos, letters, and legal documents.
- Ability to write letters and prepare legal documents.
- Duties require the ability to calculate restitution amounts and analyze calculations from technical accident investigations.
- Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties.
- Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
- Responsible for assigning cases, coordinating work between two attorneys, one secretary and one to three interns.
- Very frequently dealing with witnesses, defendants, judges, secretaries, staff of court administration, and clerk’s office.
Special Necessary Requirements:
Valid Driver’s License. Must pass a County physical examination offer of employment. Subject to criminal and credit history review. Regular work attendance required. Must always remain awake and aware of surroundings.
Return Application To
Bart Klaver, Poweshiek County Attorney PO Box 455 Montezuma, IA 50171 email@example.com
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Department: Attorney
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Posted: 1/26/24
- Expires: Posted until filled.
All Job Listings