Weapon Permit Applications
This is also referred to as a "Permit to Purchase" a pistol or revolver.
This is the new application for permits issued under the new law after January 1, 2011. A carry permit can also be used as a permit to purchase.
Weapons Code Section
Weapons Chapter (724) of the State of Iowa Code covers sections that are relevant to the law changes that took effect on January 1, 2011.
Weapons Permit Renewal
- Bring your current permit in within 30 days before expiring or within 30 days after expiring and the fee is $25.00.
- Outside the 30 days bring in your card and the fee is $50.00.
- No documentation is required for individuals who obtained a weapon permit after January 1, 2011.
- Poweshiek County accepts cash (exact change) or check. We are not equipped to make change, take debit or credit cards at this time.
To apply for a permit to carry a weapon (professional or nonprofessional), applicants must show a valid ID, on which the address must be current. A professional permit also requires an employer's authorization on the application.
The front window is open for weapon permits 24/7 for your convenience, including holidays.
You must apply in person and exact change or a check is required. Do not sign and date the application until you are in the presence of the Sheriff's Office staff.
Iowa Code Requirements
Applicants must show proof that they have met the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724.
- Applicants must show proper identification
- Applicants must apply for a permit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides
- Applicant must have completed the required training
- Applicant will pay the required fee at the time of application
- Permit to Acquire
- $35 - 5 years
- $15 - Duplicate
- Permit to Carry Concealed
- $50 - New | 5 years
- $25 - Renewal | 5 years
- $25 - Duplicate | Expires on date of original permit
- Permit to Acquire
If you have questions about the permit process, please contact us at 641-623-5679 option 4.