Clear · 52°

Vehicle Registration & Title


A bill of sale is required for ALL vehicle/trailer transfers starting January 1, 2022.

Vehicle Registration & Title services are open Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Bill of Sale

Renew Vehicle Tags


Motor Vehicle Renewals

  • Motor vehicle registration is due annually (i.e. vehicles cannot be renewed for six months at a time.)
  • Courtesy registration renewal notices go out the month before registration is due. 
  • There is a three-month window to renew; payments can be made the month before, the month of or the month after your registration is due without being penalized if driving in Iowa.
  • The following vehicles NOT allowed to renew online include:
    • IRP (prorate),
    • Firefighter vehicles due to the annual certification,  
    • Personalized plates that have been expired for more than 30 days, 
    • Customers with outstanding debts.

Renew your vehicle tags online at with an e-Check for .30 cents (less than a postage stamp) or a  debit/credit card. Debit cards incur an administration fee of $0.30 plus a convenience fee of $3.95. Credit cards incur an administration fee of $0.30 plus a convenience fee of 2.35%.

If renewing online, you must have your PIN. Your PIN is located on your renewal notice. Please call or email our office if you do not have this renewal notice. NOTE: This pin is specific to you and should not change, therefore the same PIN can be used annually.

Payment Methods

  • In office with cash, check or card (cards accepted for an additional fee), 
    • Accepted credit cards: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
  • Mail (if at the end of the month, mail must be postmarked to not incur penalties)
  • Online through

Checks should be made out to Poweshiek County Treasurer

Pay Online with PIN

Motor Vehicle Title Transfers

BILL OF SALE will be REQUIRED for all title transfers in Poweshiek County starting on January 1, 2022.

  • Autos, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles, campers, mobile homes, and trailers greater than 2,001 lbs are titled within the state of Iowa.
  • Trailers less than or equal to 2,000 lbs are issued registration only.
  • New owners have 30 days from the date of purchase to change their title. Penalties start after 30 days.
  • New owners can drive their new vehicle for 30 days from the purchase date without plates on as long as previous owners had current registration. 
    • The owner must carry properly assigned title or bill of sale and proof of insurance if stopped by law enforcement.
  • Odometer required for vehicles 20 years and newer Odometer Disclosure Statement
  • Damage Disclosure Statement required for vehicles 7 years and newer

Selling a Vehicle

Upon selling your vehicle to a private individual, you should:

  • Sign on the signature of seller line on first assignment on the back of the title; if 2 owners with names connected by "and," both need to sign
  • Enter the Date of Sale,
  • Print on the printed name of seller line back of the title,
  • Make sure the buyer completes the top line of the assignment with their legal name and address, 
  • Complete a bill of sale including both parties' names, date of sale and purchase price.  Both parties should keep a copy for their records.
  • Complete the odometer reading (required for vehicles 20 years and newer),
  • Complete the damage disclosure statement (only required for vehicles 9 years and newer),
  • ALWAYS Take the license plates off the vehicle and return them to our office.
    • This is how we can apply for a refund for any unused registration for $10 or more.
    • Even if there is no refund, this is the only way we can get those license plates out of your name.
    • If the new owner(s) drives away with your license plates on the vehicle, there could be a liability for an accident, ticket or other occurrences they might be involved in.   
    • By signing the title and obtaining a bill of sale to the new owner(s), the buyer is able to drive the vehicle within the state of Iowa for 30 days from the date of purchase. 

Replacement Title

Download Form 411033 from the Iowa DOT website.

There is a 5-day waiting period if the original title is lost.  (If the original has been altered  or spoiled in some way, please submit the original title to us with Form 411033 and we will process a replacement title in the same day.)

Anybody whose name is on the face of the title MUST sign the replacement application. 

The replacement title must be ordered in the county where the original title was processed.

The fee is $25.00.

New to Iowa?

 To register your vehicle in Iowa, you will need:

  • Your out-of-state title, or your out-of-state registration and
  • Completed and signed application for certificate of Iowa title and/or registration (Form 411007) by all owners. 

Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle within the county that you reside within 30 days of the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though you still have valid license plates in another state. You would contact your previous state for the best way to dispose of their license plates.  

If you are providing an out-of-state registration, you will be required to obtain an Iowa title if /when you sell the vehicle in Iowa. If your title is at a lienholder, you may contact them to notify them of your change of residency and request the title be mailed to us for updating. You can always wait until the vehicle is paid in full and bring the title in at that time. 

Fees are as follows:

  • Iowa Title Fee = $25.00
  • Iowa Lien Fee = $10.00
  • Iowa Registration = Variable.  
    In Iowa, vehicle rates are based on make, model, year, weight and list price. However, vehicles that are 12 years or older are a flat rate of $50/year. You may call or email our office with the VIN of your vehicle to verify the annual fee. 

Dealer Licenses & Information

If you’re interested in becoming a licensed motor vehicle dealer within the state of Iowa, please find more information directly from the Iowa DOT on their website or you can receive more information by contacting motor vehicle enforcement at (866) 908-4636 or by email at

Dealer Complaints

Complaint forms from the Bureau of Investigation and Identity Protection are used for resolving situations such as:

  • Not receiving or delivering title in the allotted time
  • False odometer statements
  • Complaints concerning licensed dealers or license violations
  • Complaints involving driver’s license fraud and related identity theft

Further information can be found on the Iowa DOT website.

Back · Poweshiek County Treasurer