Appointments are recommended when applying for general assistance. Please call 641-623-0444 to schedule an appointment.
The following items must be brought to your appointment:
- IDs for all members of the household
- Social security cards for all members of the household
- Last 30 days of pay stubs for all adults residing in the household
- Last 30 days of bank statements (both checking and savings) for all adults residing in the household
- Copy of your current bill
- Copy of proof of any other income for all adults residing in the home, including SNAP, SSI/SSDI, child support, unemployment benefits, etc.
The 2023 eligibility rates for Poweshiek County General Assistance are based on 100% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines and subject to change based upon current Federal Poverty Guidelines.
|Household Size||Gross Hourly Income||Gross Monthly Income||Gross Yearly Income|
|Each Additional Person add:||$2.47||$428||$5,140|
- If the applicant(s) is/are unemployed, they must be registered with Workforce Development and show proof of this. An exception can be made if the applicant has a doctor’s note stating they have a medical condition making them ineligible to work.
- If an applicant is on strike, no assistance is available.
- If any of the applicant has voluntarily quit their job in the past 60 days, no assistance is available.
- If the applicant is a current student, no assistance is available.
- The applicant(s) must have resided in Poweshiek County for at least the last 30 days. Verification is required.
- If the applicant received assistance through General Assistance in the past and has not made efforts to repay, no assistance is available.