Emergency Food Assistance
Referrals will be made to the food pantry, SHARE program and Food Recovery Network. Applications are available for the Food Assistance Program to be submitted to the Iowa Department of Human Services.
The applicant must reside in Poweshiek County. Rent assistance is not available for deposits, first or last
month’s rent. Assistance is not available to households already receiving rental assistance through subsidized housing. Those related to their landlord are ineligible for rental assistance.
Households with no children may receive rental assistance of up to $175 for one month, if approved. Households with children may receive rental assistance of up to $300 for one month, if approved.
No funding can be issued if there is a current eviction notice and the landlord will not rescind it.
The applicant must provide a copy of the utility bill and must be in the name of the applicant or another member of the household. General Assistance will not fund deposits.
- Electric: up to $150.00
- Water: up to $75.00
- Fuel (for heating or cooking): up to $200.00
No funding is available if the applicant is receiving LIHEAP (Nov. - April) and if no payments are made during the moratorium.
Assistance may be given for prescription (non-psych) medications and for some medical needs that require no prescription. Dental assistance for an immediate need to relieve severe pain. The county may assist with up to $300 for a tooth extraction.
A family requesting assistance with burial/cremation services MUST meet with the General Assistance Director PRIOR to any arrangements and complete the necessary application.
- Payment for burial expenses is limited to a maximum of $1,500.00.
- The deceased must have been a Poweshiek County resident for at least one year. Residence in a Care Facility/Institution is NOT considered residency.
- This service includes removal of human remains (within 50 miles of the funeral home), administrative duties of the funeral home, and preparing and disposal of the remains.
- Any cost over the $1,500 will be the expense of the family or funeral home.